Lexington-Fayette County Health Department will begin making same-day monkeypox (MPX) vaccine appointments for qualified individuals starting on Thursday, August 4, 2022. Please call the Health Department to discuss your specific eligibility. The phone number is (859)899-2222. Appointments will be available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Criteria: 18 years of age and older
- Men who have sex with men: More than one sexual partner or anonymous sexual partners in the last 14 days, or Gonorrhea or Syphilis diagnosis in the past year, or currently taking PrEP for HIV prevention.
- Any person: Attending and event/venue in the past 14 days where there was a high risk of exposure to an individual with a confirmed case of monkeypox.
- Any person: Who believes they may have recent direct skin-to-skin contact to a known or suspected case of monkeypox.
Monkeypox Prevention Steps
Take the following three steps to prevent getting monkeypox:
- Do not touch the rash or scabs of a person with monkeypox.
- Do not kiss, hug, cuddle or have sex with someone with monkeypox.
- Do not share eating utensils or cups with a person with monkeypox.
- Do not handle or touch the bedding, towels, or clothing of a person with monkeypox.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, especially before eating or touching your face and after you use the bathroom.
(Center’s for Disease Control and Prevention, 2022)
For more information and resources, please refer to:
Lexington-Fayette County Health Department
Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services:
Monkeypox vaccine distribution:
Lexington Medical Society:
AVOL Kentucky will continue to monitor for additional information about monkeypox and will update this page as we learn more.